Smith’s provided me with compensation in exchange for this sponsored post. However, all the opinions expressed here are my own.
On January 6, 2018 Kroger 8 oz. cheese will be $0.99 (regularly $1.99) when using a digital coupon at all Smith’s stores! You can get the digital offer at Smith’s online. This is such a fantastic offer and useful if you’d like to make these delicious homemade gluten-free cheesy tater tots.
This recipe was inspired after trying a local restaurant that served their tater tots with cheese inside the tater tot instead of the usual cheese on top of the tater tots. Let’s just say they were life changing. However, this restaurant is not in Utah Valley and is somewhere I pass only once every month or two so I knew I had to create something similar to it.
Homemade Gluten-Free Cheesy Tater Tots
1.5 pound potatoes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 cup Kroger shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup oil
1. Wash and peel potatoes. Cube the potatoes and cook in boiling water for about 10 minutes. The potatoes should be slightly cooked but not too soft.
2. Use a grater or food processor to shred the potatoes. The potatoes should be in small shreds. If they end up being mashed, it’s okay.
3. Let the shredded potatoes dry. Use a cheesecloth or dry towel to rid the potatoes of moisture. I let the potatoes sit out for an hour but that is unnecessary if the potatoes are dry.
4. Put the potatoes into a bowl. Add in salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cornstarch, and shredded cheddar cheese. Stir well.
5. Shape about 1-2 tablespoons worth of mixture into a tater tot shape. Repeat until mixture is gone.
6. Heat about 1 cup of oil in a small pot or pan. Once the oil is hot, carefully drop each tater tot shape into the oil. Fry about 3-4 minutes on each side if in a shallow pan. Fry about 4 minutes total if the tots are submerged. Fry until tot is evenly browned.
7. Pull the tots out and place onto a paper towel to drain and cool.
Serve with ketchup, fry sauce, or your other favorite dipping sauce.