One year ago I would have never thought I would be doing the things I do – making things, baking things, using cloth diapers … and now? Organic! I’ve become absolutely obsessed with organic foods.
It all started when my husband decided he was going to not eat any more high fructose corn syrup because of a youtube video. I rolled my eyes every time when he started looking at looking at all of the nutrition labels on all of our food and I really didn’t want to know whether our foods contained bad things or not. It’s a little ironic because I majored in Exercise Sciences (learning about the body, nutrition, exercise, etc.) and I took a few nutrition classes (when I wanted to be a Dietician). I know about some of these bad things we put into our body … but it all tastes so good so I just ignored it all.
Then my husband brought up a really good point – maybe children aren’t becoming more obese because they’re eating more. Maybe it’s the simple fact that food companies have created all of these things like hydrogenated oil and high fructose corn syrup that didn’t exist 100 years ago. And that bothered me. I looked at my little 11-month old and didn’t want to expose her to all of these chemicals and engineered foods so I started looking at organic foods. And boy are they expensive!
However, we have been able to find some great deals on organic foods and they taste so amazing. They taste more like home made foods which I enjoy so much. The flavor is so much better and I feel so much better about the nutrients I’m putting into my body. The fruits and vegetables have less toxins. I even understand most of the ingredients on boxes. Plus I’m supporting some family farms. And I like that.
Another way I plan to support some farm owners is to attend Farmer’s Markets. The main one in Utah County seems to be in Provo at Pioneer Park at 500 W. Center Street, right off of the freeway. It runs Saturdays, June – October, 8 am – 1 pm.
Other Farmers Markets:
- Happy Valley Farmers Market: Saturdays, July – October, 9 am – 2 pm, Riverwoods
- Lindon Farmers Market: Saturdays, July – October, 8 am – 10 am, 60 N. State St., Lindon
- Spanish Fork Farmers Market: Saturdays, August – October, 7 am – 1 pm, 40 S. Main St., Spanish Fork
- The Pleasant Grove Promenade: Fridays, July – September, 4 pm – 8 pm, 70 S. 100 E., Pleasant Grove
- Hee Haw Farms Farmers Market: Saturdays, August, 9 am – 3 pm, 150 S. 2000 W., Pleasant Grove
- Lehi Farmers Market: Saturdays, August – September, 10 am – 1 pm, 1870 N. State St., Lehi
- Thanksgiving Point Farmers Market: Saturdays, August – October, 9 am – 12 pm, 3003 N. Thanksgiving Way, The Village, Lehi
*Thanks Utah’s Own.